Sometimes you just want to sit on your couch and eat your favorite Thai food while watching Arrested Development. Unfortunately, a delivery of Thai would include many plastic containers, plastic forks, napkins, menus, a brown paper bag, a plastic bag over that, and a printed receipt.
It is important to remember that many cities, including New York City, do not actually recycle to-go containers contrary to what many think. So with a little bit of effort including a phone call, three mason jars, and a little walking, I had my Thai food sans waste and guilt!
The Steps to Zero Waste Take-out:
- Pick your restaurant
- Call ahead… “I want to come in and get food for pickup, is it okay if I bring my own containers?” If yes…
- Thank them profusely
- Plan what you are going to order. In my case it was two soups and some sticky rice
- Gather the necessary containers (3 ball jars for me)
- Head to the restaurant, order, and give them your containers
- Get your food, thank them for being so great and letting you bring containers, walk home, sit on couch, eat, laugh, ahhhhhhh