Right? No. Not right. Wrong.
Gifting can be fun, waste free, and EASY. I’m going to tell you my favorite ways to gift zero waste so you can sleep stress (and trash) free this holiday season.
My favorite type of gift is the experience gift. Instead of buying something, wrapping it, and just handing it over, I love the thought of giving an experience gift. Dinner for two? A show? A day at a museum? Cook dinner for someone? A concert? The options are infinite. That way you can grow memories, not trash.
If an experience gift is not up your alley and you do want to give a physical gift, try a homemade one! I have a few great zero waste options for you: body lotion, deodorant, toothpaste, and granola.
1) Life Without Plastic for all of their zero waste essentials like stainless steel airtight storage containers and reusable produce bags. If you purchase something and use the code “TIFTHOLIDAY” you will get 10% off of your order.
2) Brush With Bamboo for a bamboo toothbrush packaged in 100% compostable materials.
If you are giving an experience gift you don’t need to worry about this. If not, I wrap my presents for the holidays three ways:
1) I don’t wrap them at all. Yep. You heard me. I do the behind the back or pull out of my bag method and just hand it over. Works like a charm and is totally zero wage!
2) I wrap them in reusable materials like a reusable bag or a napkin. That is almost like 2 gifts in 1!
3) I upcycle paper bags, newspaper, or whatever paper I can find. I never use tape and instead secure the packages with biodegradable twine, cotton string, or anything else that is biodegradable.